Sunday, December 23, 2007

Day 7 and 8 of simbang Gabi

I'm bouncing back from an absent on Day 6 and this time, I'm already HOME. I decided to hear mass at our very own parish in Baao - St. Bartholomew Parish. I thought that they have the same time of start of masses like in Manila but it's much early here. As early as 4 AM you can already hear the voice of the priest. What has been a tradition here during dawn masses is that every after the mass, some sponsor barangays of our town conduct ashort program in the Patio asa way to entertain the parishioners. I've been used to it since I was a kid.
You really have here the "Probinsya Christmas Fever". Unlike in Manila where there is the Puto Bumbong and Bibingka, it's Ginalpong that greets the parishioners after masses which is a "kakanin" prepared by the sponsor barangay. Another thing I love aout masses here is that every dawn mass from Day 1 to Day 9 makes the church Jam-Packed. People are coming from far places and even from those mountainous areas of our town. It's really one big proff how devout the people of Baao are.
No wonder because history has been a big part of it. Hello? This is where the first Filipino Bishop was Born. No Baaoenyo is an idiot of that fact.
Anyways, I'm still enjoying and ecstatic about my stay here. Tomorror is the last morning of the 9-day sacrifice and hoping I would come early for the mass.

No comments: