Sunday, December 16, 2007

Dawn Mass


Today is December 16.

"Simbang Gabi" kicked off earlier this morning . It is a 9-day early masses which starts December 16 and ends on December 24 and concluded by a mass on Christmas eve. Of course, being in Manila where Christmas is felt as early as October, I decided not to sleep yesterday so I could be on time for the for the start of the "Misa De Gallo".


I decided to hear mass at the Our Lady of Remedies Parish or popularly known as MALATE CHURCH. I was one of the first to go inside because I was there as early as 3:15 AM and the Church is only about to open. I intentionally planned to go there early so as to have a seat luxury and I was lucky to be in front of the altar and beside the Chorale Group.

Lights inside the church were turned on at around 3:30 AM and I was amused to see that they are using LCD projector for their masses. Wow and lucky for them to have that kind of luxury. An early reminder was flashed on the screen saying:

ATTENTION
Please do not leave your
Personal Belongings Unattended.
Somebody might think
its the ANSWER to their prayers

I grinned when I read the sign. COMEDY inside the Church. Anyways, the whole flow of the mass in Malate was different from those I've attended in the past year. In Malate Church, they change the tradition of praying the rosary before the mass to giving lectures to the people and letting the parishioners understand why they celebrate such things and how Jesus infancy was told in the GOSPEL. I think its better than the old one because we should put importance in educating everybody and telling them about God as a whole instead of letting them pray tons of Hail Mary's without understanding why such things were done.

Another good thing about the MALATE CHURCH is that the Celebrant gives homily as fast as One Minute unlike in other Churches that HOMILY could take to about 30 minutes. Just a short message and everything was fine. Let the people think and reflect on the message rather explain to them the whole bible which for sure they could not understand.



Of course, as soon as the mass ended, the best way to start the morning after the simbang gabi is to have a taste of the PUTO BUMBONG and BIBINGKA. The Puto Bumbong took time for them to cook that is why I opted for the BIBINGKA.

And yes, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED for today.


No comments: