Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Time Capsule: POLITICIANS before and AFTER

Today is March 11, 2008.

I searched INQUIRER ONLINE for headlines, news and it's still about the same old issues we have about a week ago or maybe months ago. Even the up-to-date breaking news is still about the ZTE-NBN deal, Jun Lozada and should I say the likes.

The same old people we are seeing at our televisions right now are I guess the same old people we would be looking at our boob-tube in the coming months or even in the next three years.


I once written in my older post about a political saying that says "In politics, there are no real and permanent friends or enemies but only vested interests. So for this post, I would like to broaden that saying and trace back memory lane.


Let's see what happened in our country 7 or 8 years ago. How about NOVEMBER 13, 2000?
November 13, 2000. I was a grade 6 student back then and it was just an ordinary day in my hometown baao and in my beloved SMA but back home, it was the television that was the star of the whole day. My father was watching if the then opposition led by THE SPICE BOYS of the lower house would get the MAGIC NUMBER to IMPEACH PRESIDENT JOSEPH EJERCITO ESTRADA and bring the proceedings to THE SENATE . By late afternoon, only one voice prevailed over hundred other congressmen in the microphone. It was the voice of FORMER SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE and now Senator Manuel Villar who courageously took over the PODIUM and announce to the whole COUNTRY that they have IMPEACHED a PRESIDENT and allow the SENATE to go with the TRIAL for CONVICTION or ACQUITTAL.


At the SENATE IMPEACHMENT trial, we've seen all the real drama. The famous "ilonggo or visayan accent" of then congressman Sergio Apostol, the fiery eyes of Guinggona, Former Senator Tessie Aquino-Oreta doing the dance steps, Former Senator Franklin Drilon and Senator Loren Legarda shedding tears while hugging each other, Senator Aquilino Pimentel resigned as Senate President, we also have the brave speeches of Former Senator Rene Cayetano and the "you're-not-a-member-of-this-court" phrase by Senator Raul Roco and of course the walkout and abscence of the prosecution panel after they have lost the voting procedures to open the second envelope of the Jose velarde account.

The next thing to follow was the famous EDSA 2.

It's time for us now to recall and review the POLITICIANS we have then. Of course, Senator ROCO and Cayetano peacefully joined God already, Tessie Oreta allied with the current administration for a possible senate comeback and failed, DRILON decided not to run for office but is making the news again recently but Pimentel, Legarda, Apostol and Villar are still alive and cooking. And opps, Guinggona is yet to contact the parlor, I mean the funeral parlor for he is still half-dead-half-human. Where are they right now? What happened to the principle they have shown to the whole public in 2001?

Sergio Apostol - Once a bar topnotcher, respected lawmaker, he is now the chief presidential legal counsel of Malacanang. Not much of news for him except for the "racist remarks" he uttered about Jun Lozada or the Chinese commnunity should I say. He's still with the governement he had helped established in 2001 and obviously, he's part of the first line of defense of The Palace. I'm not talking about the military, but I'm talikng about Bunye, Justice secretary Gonzales and Apostol who are to defend the president at all cost. I remember Maceda, Angara and John "the gay" O during ERAP times. I think there's a fruit synonymous to their names - balimbing right? Sweet.

Senator Aquilino Pimentel - Only one word to describe him - "BITTER". Now this is what I'm trying to say about vested interest. He was part of the GMA ally but when the dwarf chose Guinggona to be the Vice President of the Republic of The Philippines, he started to show his bitterness to TV PATROL, I mean the television. Nobody needs to tell me the difference between "paninindigan" and "pagtatraydor" because I already know those terms. But to the case of Pimentel, it's all interest after all. At his age, I guess this is the right time for him to retire. Drilon already did what he needs to do and that is to stay home. I guess Pimentel should also try to - hmmm, what about grill some barbecues, and try - fishing.

Senator Loren Legarda - Former Newscaster, election topnotcher but she became famous after EDSA 2 when she became the crying lady of the senate back in 2001 after they lost the votes that did not allow the prosecution and the senate to open the second envelope. The public has bestowed sympathy on that event. She became famous but it did not help her in her bid to become the Vice President in 2004 after she lost to fellow ABS-CBN colleague Noli De Castro. Aside from her separation to "murderer-husband" Antonio Leviste and her failed "recount move" of the 2004 VP Elevtion, the re-elected Senator Loren Legarda is one of the possible candidates for the 2010 Elections which I guess would turn out to be another defeat for her. Why? Because this country is SICK of another WOMAN PRESIDENT. Period.

Senate President Manuel Villar - the IMPEACHMENT hero who in November 2000 led the whole nation in FORMALLY ousting President ERAP ESTRADA (in the proper court) has won another seat in the Senate during the 2007 Midterm elections with the help of... who else? ERAP ESTRADA. Very "IRONIC" isn't it? The opposition sees it as UNITY but with my very own naked eye, I see it as business-as-usual in politics. Villar is targetting the presidency in 2010 so expect another future drama in the opposition. The title? PINOY BIG LOSER: Search for the Next Opposition Stalwart... between Villar, Lacson, Legarda, Roxas, BINAY and even Estrada of course.
******
Now, finally there's is someone I guess happened to read my BLOG and put a comment on my old post which I discussed about my beloved BAAO. I guess he is also referring about my older post of my opinion on why I think GMA would not RESIGN.

I appreciate the comment so I'm posting it here.

tamols wrote on Mar 10
...this is exactly the reason why GMA should resign. you talk about accountability in government in local politics but you don't believe in accountability within malacaƱang, that GMA should finish her term? people feed on the fact that GMA is the lesser evil, for fuck's sake she's not... just with the fertilizer scam, BAAO could have been a better town right now. think about it.

Here is my simple OPINION based on your comment.

I did not even consider the term "ACCOUNTABILITY" while writing the post but only the simple word of "RESPONSIBILITY" because I'm trying to describe the people of BAAO for anyone of them to take the initiative in helping whether elected or not.

If I talk about the term "PUBLIC ACCOUNTABILITY" which I believe is written in our 1987 Constituition and which our officials are expected to follow, then that would lead me to saying that "there is a PROPER FORUM" to fix the irregularities in both the LOCAL and NATIONAL GOvernment regarding PUBLIC ACCOUNTABILITY and which I again believe would just lead both of us to confusion.

LESSER EVIL? being a KAPAMILYA viewer, I don't see GMA as the LESSER EVIL as what is reported on the TV but I guess it's the OPPOSITION BLOC who plays the lesser evil. Why?

With ERAP ESTRADA being the leader of the opposition, all of his anomalies during his term are now forgotten by our people. Many of our countrymen are following him again during rallies, your should be "interfaith rally" that turned out to be POLITICALLY tainted so I guess sympathy has saved your opposition leader if he is really your leader and THE WHOLE GROUP- once again. People would say nowadays that with the cruelty of Gloria, they could choose from CAYETANO, ESCUDERO, VILLAR, PIMENTEL, GUINGGONA, LEGARDA and the obviously COMEBACKING ESTRADA to be the next president even if we have not thoroughly studied their PERSONALITY.

As to GMA, all have been ATTACKS on her. You have won the battles everytime you exposed anomalies, you do rallies and you have obviously gathered SYMPATHY and make the people lose their CONFIDENCE on ARROYO. But those are all battles you have won and not the EXACT WAR.


So with the EVIL ISSUE, people understands that between the "MUCH EVIL" and the "LESSER EVIL", both are still EVIL. So why CHOOSE?

As to the WAR, there is only a simple question that JUAN de La Cruz is ASKING YOU.


"Ok, sasama kami sa ipinaglalaban niyo na patalsikin si Arroyo, pero SINO IPAPALIT NIYO?

OBVIOUSLY that is the question that until now you can't even dare look for an answer. For a high school student, he/she would answer

"matapat, may pagmamalasakit sa bayan, handang tumulong"

but HELL, the answer SHOULD START with a FIRST NAME , MIDDLE NAME and a SURNAME.

and BRO, that is the same question I wanted to ASK YOU.

Fertilizer Scam, Bukol sa ZTE, is believed by the PEOPLE as CORRUPTION synonymous to REALITY.


CORRUPTION is a CANCER of the SOCIETY which is not only happening in the GOVERNMENT.


It's "kumisyon" in the normal OFFICE WORKPLACE of a corporation, "ikit(KUPIT) sa pantalon" for a little boy who wanted to buy lollipop in their neighbor's sari-sari store, so it's not the governement who actually started it out but the people tolerating it these days are the same people doing it everyday.

I believe and admire your actions right now as a student leader but there is time to change everything... and that is when we all learn CONTENTMENT and SATISFACTION. Obviously now is not the time. When? When you already know the answer to my question... and everybody agrees...
.... tnx 4 the comment....

No comments: