Sunday, November 4, 2007

Counting hours

I'm just few hours away before I step into my biggest adventure so far as a so-called Nursing Student. It's really funny when I think of what is happening in my life.

Here's a simple story.

A friend of mine messaged me yesterday that one of our friend and former classmate who happens to be a nursing student in Bicol currently has her wrap up of a clinical affiliation somewhere here in Manila as part of her course requirements. I was amazed when I heard the news. My dad was right when he was convincing me three years ago to enroll in a nursing school here in Manila rather in Bicol. Unlike in Manila, if you are assigned in a ward, especially in a secondary hospital in the province, I think the best case of a patient you would get are those suffering from hypertension which are really common for geriatric patients. I got a chance to experience that when my lola suffered mild hypertension the last time I was there and we rushed her to the nearby hospital and she was confined to a female ward in which all patients cases are the same as her. Unlike here in Manila, even the simplest secondary hospitals have patients with cases as Diabetes 1 and 2, post cholecystectomy patients and wards are grouped if it is a Surgical or Medical ward as the most common and there are others like the Orthopedic ward and when you go to a Medical Center here in Manila there are even wards called as Fil-Ambulatory ward, the Infectious and Non-Infectious Ward. I happened to be assigned in Ospital ng Maynila Medical Center "Emergency room" right after my capping and I was really amazed of how hysterical they could get. We used to treat there patients who really have some of the weirdest life experiences in life. My favorite ER section is the Trauma where we used to treat patients who were shot by a gun, stabbed and those who were drunk and are already just wasting their life over alcohol. Another section in the ER was the OB for those patients who are going to labor their child and the best experience I have there is when a mother labored her child in a pedicab. We were only in there for about three weeks but the experience was great. In reality, some patients are really absurd unlike in the province where people are so friendly and fun loving.

The real thing I want to share is that I left Bicol three years ago to experience the city life while learning but here they are, they are throwing us to Mendez, Cavite. Yes, I understand that Mendez is an urban municipality as suggested by Wikipedia but Cavite? Cavite is a province. It's really funny but that is my destiny - to be near home and to experience place like home. That is the reason why I'm really looking forward to this whole community experience thing. This is also another way for me to look for some peace of mind. No TV's that would mean no political news/issues, no entertainment and all for the good of the health community of Mendez.

So Cavite, let's get it on.

No comments: